Wednesday 1 April 2020

Tips and Reflections - Week two

So a slightly delayed entry which I can blame on the days merging into each other and working over the weekend which meant I didn't get the chance to actually sit and write on my wall. 

Better late than never, here are week 2 tips and Reflections 

Tips
Space out your shopping and exercise and if possible, combine the two. Over the weekend, I switched into the further grocery store (about 4km/2.3m) from home and took the opportunity to walk there with hubby for the weekly shop. Good workout, about an hour chatting uninterrupted by mobile phones or news - not too bad for the time! 

The coffee breaks are more important now than ever before. I never appreciated how much of my normal day I spent walking between meetings, to the printer and of course to grab my coffee refill. All of which has disappeared now leaving my with 3-4 hours stretches of time where I hardly move. 

So this week, I started having walking coffee break with hubby in our tiny living room. He got dizzy at some point with my constant pacing so possibly find a way to cover a greater distance throughout the house! 

Use the fact that you're at home to break up your working day with cooking and other house work. Sounds silly (or stating the obvious) but in my 17 years living in my own place including 11 years of marriage, my brain is programmed to cooking late in the evening and sorting out the house on the weekend. 

You'll actually be more productive doing so (takes less than my commuting time) and the change in pace helps rejuvenate your brain. I'm getting my best ideas cooking these days! 

Last but not least, do make the effort to schedule that virtual coffee (ideally using video messenger and actually having a coffee at the same time). I actually forgot about the channel 5 minutes into my catch up with a friend last Saturday, his baby was walking all over the place and grabbing on to everything while we were chatting and sipping our drinks. Could have been any cafe and we went on for hours. 

Reflections 
With the change in tone and signalling from UKG around the length by which these restrictions will last,  the mood is getting darker. Walking outside with the sun shining and trees in full bloom, there a real sense of disconnect which is hard to manage. 

The situation is also bearing down on people's faith and believes. Even the most faithful and having their faith tested at an unprecedented level. We are faced with our fragility and mortality to an extent not seen in the past 60 years and at a scale never seen before. The question on life, God, purpose have never been bigger and traditional answers are coming up short.

At the same time, we're still living through the comradery phase with humanity and good deeds, patience and kindness are top of everyone's approach. The worry is always how long will this last, with tolerance wearing thinner as the lockdown stays on for longer and the real economic hardship becomes more pronounced. 

Looking beyond the UK, the scenes from India to Lebanon are heart-breaking. The same policy of isolation is introduced but the support infrastructure is non-existent. The question there is the surety of dying from hunger vs the possibility of getting Covid 19 and maybe dying. I don't believe anyone has a real answer to this question. 

Week 2 has been a more sombre one. We still listen to our music, explore new quirks to working from home and connecting remote however, the longer days haven't felt brighter and the darkness on the horizon feels a bit closer.

Stay safe 

No comments: